It's getting better...
So what have we done or better yet what haven't we done to this ol girl.
- New Galley with cabinets, counter top, and appliances... about $14,000
- All new flooring - removed all carpet, installed luxury vinyl plank tile... about $4,000
- New Salon furniture... about $5,000
- New Memory Foam Mattresses in all 3 staterooms with new bedding... about $4,500
- New Generator… about $16,000
- New Water Maker... $2,300
- New4KW Inverter with new Trojan battery bank... $2,200
- New A/C (14,000 btu) in master stateroom... $1,800
- New 80 gallon waste holding tank and all new waste hoses throughout the boat... $4,500
- New "helper battery" with isolator diode for the anchor windlass...$300
- New washer/dryer combo... $1,200
- New aft deck beer fridge... $200
- New 5 cu ft freezer... $190
- New oil change pump system... $400
- New engine emergency primer pumps... $500
- New reclining leather helm chairs... $2,500
- New cushions for flybridge... $2,500
- New furniture for aft deck... $2,200
- New Anchor... $200 (used)
- New window shades throughout... $1,800
- New LED lighting throughout... $1,500
- New teak valances on all windows... $3,000
- New electronics package including Chart Plotter, AIS, Radar, and NMEA 2000 system, vhf radio... $10,000
- New Dinghy and engine...$10,000
- New safety equipment (life vests for 10 persons, EPIRB, 2 MOB xmtrs, hand held vhf radio)… $3,300
- New ice maker (counter top)... $160
- New WIFI amplifier system... $800
- New bottom paint... $2,200
- Redesigned on-board water system...$900
- $5,000 spare parts package
All of this since we took ownership on June 1, 2018 and 90% was done by ourselves. I won't even add it up... I'd cringe if I did. Just remember BOAT stands for Bring ON Another Thousand.
When we bought the boat we thought we had covered most of the bases as far as knowing what needed to be refurbished. However, this was our first boat and boy did we get an education fast. In the first three days of ownership a toilet malfunctioned, the air conditioning quit, and the domestic water system sprang a huge leak. After repairing those items we spent the next week taking 40 bags of trash off the boat... this was before we started removing old carpet, window coverings, and bedding.
Things were pretty much a mess with many many problems for the first three months. Then things started to settle down as we slowly worked our way through the various systems on the boat. We spent almost twice what we anticipated spending to remodel this old girl and we're not finished yet.
Completing the galley had a huge impact on our mindset and the appearance of the boat. We kind of felt if we could do that we could tackle almost anything. One thing we've really learned about old boats... if you think it will take an hour to complete, better plan on the entire day. We like the projects but the surprises can be frustrating... and almost every project has had multiple surprises.
"No Shoes" is beginning to look pretty good and is feeling like home. On Monday we're having her taken out of the water so we can inspect the hull, repaint everything below the waterline, install a new depth transducer, and hopefully buff and polish the hull below the rub rail.
Stay tuned for updates on what we find as she sits on dry land...